Welcome to RE/MAX!
This Privacy Notice (“Notice”) applies to RE/MAX brokers and sales associates (collectively “you” or “your”). RE/MAX, its subsidiaries and affiliates (collectively “RE/MAX,” “us,” “our,” or “we”), respect your privacy and are committed to protecting it through our compliance with this Privacy Notice (“Notice”).
This Notice describes our practices regarding the collection, use, and disclosure of information, including personal information, and the choices you may have. We have made our Notice easy to navigate by providing quick access to information you may care about and easy to understand by using plain English. We strongly urge you to read this Notice from beginning to end.
Overview and scope
This Notice describes how we collect and use information, including personal information, with whom we share information, your rights and choices, and how you can contact us about our privacy practices.
Information we collect
When you join RE/MAX as a broker or sales associate, access our websites or use our mobile applications (“Online Services”), contact us, or otherwise interact with us (collectively, “Services) we collect personal information about you. Personal information is information about an individual from which that person can be identified. It does not include information where the identity has been removed (anonymous data). We may also receive personal information about you from other sources. We may combine the personal information you provide to us with information that is collected through automated methods and with information we receive from other sources. Information we collect may include:
- First and last name.
- Personal and work email.
- Home and business address.
- Education background.
- Professional information.
- Date of birth.
- Awards you may have received.
- Biographical information.
- Government issued ID information.
- Racial or ethnic information.
- Citizenship information.
- Financial and banking information.
- Criminal and credit history.
- Behavior on our Online Services.
- Other publicly available information.
How we collect information
Generally, we collect your personal information directly from you and when you use our Services. For example, when you complete the broker or sales associate onboarding process and use our Online Services. We may also collect information about you from third parties. When we collect your personal information from third parties it is either because you have given us express consent to do so, your consent was implied by your actions, or because you provided consent, either explicit or implicit, to the third party that provided this information to us.
As is true with many websites and applications, our Online Services automatically collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions, and patterns, including details of your visits, including traffic data, location data (if enabled), logs, and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on the Online Services, and information about your computer, mobile device, internet connection, including your IP address, operating system, and browser type. We also may use these technologies to collect information about your online activities over time and across third-party websites or other online services (behavioral tracking).
The technologies we use for this automatic data collection may include:
- Web Beacons. Pages of the Online Services may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) that permit us, for example, to count users and for other related website statistics (for example, recording the popularity of certain website content and verifying system and server integrity).
The information we collect automatically is only statistical data and does not include personal information, but we may maintain it or associate it with personal information we collect in other ways or receive from third parties. It helps us to improve the Online Services and to deliver a better and more personalized service, including by enabling us to:
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns.
- Store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize the Online Services according to your individual interests.
- Speed up your searches.
- Recognize you when you return to the Online Services.
How we use the information we collect
We use information that we collected or that you provided to us, including any personal information:
- To perform the terms of the franchise agreement.
- To fulfill or meet the reason you provided the information.
- To provide, support, personalize, and develop our Services.
- To create, maintain, customize, and secure your account on the Online Services.
- To personalize your experience on our Online Services and to deliver content and product and service offerings relevant to your interests, including targeted offers and ads through our Online Services, third-party sites, and via email or text message (with your consent, where required by law).
- To help maintain the safety, security, and integrity of our Online Services, products and Services, databases and other technology assets, and business.
- For testing, research, analysis, and product development, including to develop and improve our Online Services, products, and Services.
- To respond to law enforcement requests and as required by applicable law, court order, or governmental regulations.
- To comply with applicable legal requirements and internal policies.
Legal basis for collecting and using the information we collect
- Your consent (as permitted by applicable law);
- Our legitimate business interests, including:
- managing our relationship with you;
- direct marketing;
- product development and enhancement;
- fraud and financial crime detection and prevention;
- information, system, network, and cyber security;
- general corporate operations and due diligence;
- To provide services to you; and
- To comply with a legal obligation and/or defend against legal claims.
How we share the information we collect
We share the information we collect about you or that you provided to us as described in this Notice:
- Service providers. We may share personal information with service providers who provide certain services on our behalf such as data hosting or processing services. These service providers may need to access this information to perform their services. We authorize such service providers to use or disclose this information only as necessary to perform services on our behalf or comply with legal requirements. We require these service providers to contractually commit to protect the security and confidentiality of the information they process on our behalf.
- Business partners. We may share personal information with third party business partners, such as approved suppliers. We require our business partners to contractually commit to protect the security and confidentiality of the information they process on our behalf.
- Consumers. We may share personal information with consumers when responding to inquiries about a brokerage, sales associates, or when responding to complaints.
- Anonymized information. We may share analyses of our server logs, traffic, or information relating to customer leads, including details regarding usage of the Online Services and general information about our audience, with current or potential advertisers or business partners. Such disclosures typically aggregate usage data from these analyses and other information not generally considered to be personal information.
- Corporate Transactions. In addition, in the event that we go through a business transition, such as a merger, acquisition, liquidation or sale of all or a portion of our assets, personal information will, in most instances, be part of the assets transferred, or may be disclosed (subject to confidentiality restrictions) during the due diligence process. If such a transfer occurs, the acquiring company’s use of your personal information will still be subject to this Notice and the privacy choices you have made.
Your rights and choices
Depending on where you reside and subject to applicable law, you may have the following rights with regards to the personal information you shared with us:
- The right to request confirmation of whether we process personal information relating to you, and if so, to request a copy of that personal information;
- The right to request that we rectify or update personal information that is inaccurate, incomplete or outdated;
- The right to request that we erase your personal information in certain circumstances provided by law;
- The right to request that we restrict the use of your personal information in certain circumstances; for example, while we consider a request to update your personal information;
- The right to request that we sent to another company, where technically feasible, your personal information;
- The right to withdraw consent to processing your personal information that you previously gave; and
- The right to object to the processing of your personal information under certain circumstances
In order to exercise these rights, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will comply with your request to the extent required by applicable law. If you feel that you have no received a satisfactory response from us, you may consult with the data protection authority in your country.
We understand that the security of your personal information is important. For this reason, we maintain organizational, physical, and technical security arrangements designed to protect personal information within our organization against unauthorized access, destruction, loss, alteration or misuse. We periodically review our security measures and update them accordingly. Unfortunately, despite our best efforts, no data transmission or storage can be guaranteed to be 100% secured.
We store your personal information in our servers, and on the servers of the cloud-based database management services we engage, located in the United States and Canada. We will only retain your information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which we collected your personal information, unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law.
Links to other websites and social media
Our Online Services may offer links to websites, apps, tools, widgets and plug-ins that are run by third parties. If you visit a third-party website, you should read the website’s privacy notice, terms and conditions, and their other policies. We are not responsible for the policies and practices of third parties. Any personal information you give to those organizations is dealt with under their privacy notice, terms and conditions, and other policies.
International data transfer
Your personal information may be accessed, stored and processed in a country where we have operations or where we engaged service providers. This means that we may transfer personal information that we maintain about you to recipients in countries other than the country in which the information was originally collected. The data protection and privacy laws in those countries may offer a lower level of protection than the data protection and privacy laws of your country. By using our Services, you acknowledge that such transfers of information outside of your country of residency may occur.
Transfers from the EEA or Switzerland
If you are located in the European Economic Area (“EEA”) or Switzerland, we comply with applicable laws to provide an adequate level of data protection for the transfer of your information to the United States and for onward transfers. RE/MAX is certified under the EU-U.S. and the Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework and adheres to the Privacy Shield Principles of notice, choice, accountability for onward transfer, security, data integrity and purpose limitation, access, and recourse/enforcement/liability, and to the extent applicable, the supplemental principles. To learn more about the Privacy Shield program, please visit https://www.privacyshield.gov. In addition, we rely on derogations for specific situations as set forth in in Article 49 of the GDPR. In particular, we collect and transfer to the U.S. information with your consent, or to fulfill a compelling legitimate interest in a manner that does not outweigh your rights and freedoms.
We encourage you to contact us if you have any concerns about our compliance with the Privacy Shield. Any questions or concerns should be sent to email@example.com. We will respond to complaints related to the Privacy Shield within 45 days. If a complaint cannot be resolved informally, we have agreed to participate in the JAMS dispute resolution procedures pursuant to the Privacy Shield principles. EEA and Switzerland residents with unresolved complaints may refer them to JAMS as described at https://www.jamsadr.com/file-an-eu-us-privacy-shield-or-safe-harbor-claim. Under certain circumstances, these dispute resolution processes may result in your ability to invoke binding arbitration.
Changes to this Notice
We recognize that information privacy is an ongoing responsibility. For this reason, we may, from time to time, make changes to this Notice. Changes to this Notice will be made on this page. The date this Notice was last revised is identified on the top of this Notice. We encourage you to visit this page frequently to stay inform of any changes to this Notice.
If you have any questions or comments about this Notice contact us at:
Legal – Privacy
5075 S. Syracuse Street
Denver, CO 80237